DH: Economics of Healthcare
Introduction and Overview
- What is Health Economics?
- Overview of Indian health care system
- How to measure health?
Demand for Health and Demand for Medical Care
- Production of Health
- Education, Income, and Health
- Infant and Child Health
- Demand for Medical Care
- Demand for Health Insurance and moral hazard
- Health insurance markets and adverse selection
- Public Health Insurance Programs
- Health Service Disparities
- Market for Physicians
- Economics of Hospitals
- Health Behaviours: substance abuse, smoking, obesity
Burden of Illness
- Communicable diseases
- Non-communicable diseases
- Health Policy Evaluation
- Bhattacharya, Hyde & Tu. Health Economics, First Edition, Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Folland, Goodman & Stano. The Economics of Health and Health Care, Fifth Edition, Prentice-Hall, 2007.
- Glied, S & Smith, PC. The Oxford Handbook of Health Economics, Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Cameron, AC & Trivedi, PK. Micro Econometrics: Methods and Applications. Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- Angrist, JD & Pischke, JS. Mostly harmless econometrics: An empiricist’s companion. Princeton University Press, 2009.
- Appropriate research articles for each topic will be suggested in class.
||6 credits - Lecture
||Full Semester - To be offered normally in 2nd semester
|Name(s) of other Academic units to whom the course may be relevant